Delself Icon is a Trojan that can drop another malware on to infected computer. Delself Icon can also modify registry entry so that it will load on Windows start-up. This Trojan is also known for its capability to configure Internet browser to redirect on malicious websites where a rogue security program is hosted.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
Once Delself Icon is installed on the computer; it will drop files and create registry entries. It also copies the main executable file to various locations of hard drive. Injecting itself on legitimate Windows process allows it to run automatically when requesting the service.
Delself Icon arrives on computers in several methods. Most of the popular method is to send Trojan through spamming as attached to email messages. User may also get contaminated when a questionable link from instant messaging application is executed. The link is sent originally from address of a friend on contact lists, but sender is unaware that Trojan on their computer is sending out malicious information. Most of the time, the message will contain tempting links on trending news and events.
Another means of propagation is through drive-by-download. Trojan can enter the computer by simply visiting a web site that is either legitimate but compromised or web pages that is harmful in nature. The process is so covert that user’s may not even notice. On the other hand, installing the Trojan with user’s knowledge happens when it pretends as software update or as required components when visiting unsafe web sites.
Signs and Symptoms of Delself Icon Infection:
Delself Icon will disable your antivirus program
Once a Trojan infects a computer, it has a tendency to lower security settings and disable firewall and antivirus program. Delself Icon carry out this task to ensure that antivirus software will not respond on the attack.
Blocks Internet access to security web site
Delself Icon attacks the center of the security system. Aside from disabling antivirus software, this Trojan also blocks your access to security web site to prevent downloading of any removal tools.
Presence of Delself Icon reduces PC's performance
Trojans are known to reside in the memory, thus, it can consume resources that can cause computer to slow down. There are cases that infected computer crashes due to insufficient resources.
Other Functions of Delself Icon:
- Delself Icon can communicate to a remote server to download more threats
- It can infect executable files on the local and network drives
- This hazardous Trojan can connects to a distant server to update its configuration
- Some variants of Delself Icon can destroy system files making the computer unstable
- This Trojan can allow a backdoor entry for an attacker to control the infected PC
How to Remove Delself Icon
Step 1 - Run a thorough scan using your antivirus program
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Delself Icon
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete please proceed with the next step.
Step 2 - Double-check with Online Virus Scanner
Another way to remove Delself Icon without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished you may now restart the computer in normal mode.