go.google and go.yahoo is browser hijacker that dominantly redirect web browser to a harmful websites. Normally, user’s Internet browser is delivered to a page that projects online virus scan. It detects numerous threats and advises the victim to download a removal tool. There are occasions that this redirect virus is utilized to gain profit for its developer after browser on the infected PC is forwarded to advertisements web page.
A Trojan that has a payload of modifying browser settings drops go.google and go.yahoo. It can also disable installed security programs such as antivirus and firewall. This threat also monitors internet activity of the infected computer.
Update: October 5, 2011
Browser redirect these days is mainly dropped by a rootkit Trojan to hide its activity once inside the computer. Rootkits are difficult to remove using only single antivirus software. You cannot rely on installed antivirus program at all times. You need a special too created specifically to fight redirect and rookit Trojan to stop the malicious deeds.
Signs and Symptoms of go.google – go.yahoo Infection:
Browser is redirected to go.google – go.yahoo web sites
Trojan usually infects a web browser in order to redirect it to another web page that contains additional malware. In some instances, redirects are used to promote a rogue program such as fake antivirus products.
Exhibits fake pop-ups and security alert
In order to deceive computer users, go.google – go.yahoo will exhibit a bunch of fake security alerts and warning messages. It also intends to promote the malware as the sole remover for identified threats.
go.google – go.yahoo will detect errors and threats that do not exists
If the redirect intends to promote a rogue program, user may see a bunch of fake detection after the browser is redirected to a malicious page. Keep in mind that that detection is fictitious and does not really exists in the computer at all. This trick is common to viruses and malware that uses redirect methods.
Other Functions of go.google – go.yahoo:
- go.google – go.yahoo will arrive on computer via another virus infection
- Internet browser can be redirected to unknown address that is usually the location of other malware
- go.google – go.yahoo may contact a remote computer and download more threats
- go.google – go.yahoo will display excessive advertisements on the computer
- This threat also monitors Internet activity on the infected PC
How to Remove go.google – go.yahoo
Remove the rootkit Trojan causing the redirect
Anti-rootkit utility called TDSSKiller is a free tool from Kasperksy that neutralizes complicated malware which effectively hides its process, folders, files and registry entries.
1. Download TDSSKiller from this link. Save the file to your desktop.
2. Extract the contents using archiver applications.
3. Reboot the computer in Safe Mode to avoid go.google – go.yahoo from loading at start-up. You may want to print this procedure as we have to restart the computer to complete the removal process.
- Restart the computer.
- Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
- It will display an Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Windows will now start in Safe Mode.
4. Locate and run the TDSSKiller.exe file.
5. On Object to Scan, please mark Services and drivers as well as Boot Sectors.
6. Click on Start Scan to begin scanning your system. This may take a while.
7. After the scan is finished, it will reboot the computer. That should complete the disinfection process.
Download and scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
1. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from this link and save it on your Desktop.
2. After downloading, double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
3. Follow the prompts and install as default only.
4. Before the installation completes, check on the following prompts:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
5. Click Finish. Program will run automatically and you will be prompt to update the program before doing a scan. Please update.
6. Scan your computer thoroughly.
7. When scanning is finished click on the Show Results button.
8. Make sure that all detected threats are marked, click on Remove Selected.
9. Restart your computer.
Note: Some malware may prevent mbam-setup.exe from downloading and running. You can download and rename this program from a different computer before running it on infected system.