TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen is a generic detection for a harmful Trojan that encrypts certain data on the infected computer. This type of Trojan specifically targets files on Windows operating system. The Trojan then demands for a ransom payment to decrypt data. Users will be oblige to pay for the decryption tool using various online payment schemes.
In usual occasion, TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen enters the computer through the use of another threat. It can be a Trojan Downloader or malicious code pretending to be a useful program. Once executed, it will drop a file that can lead to the infection of TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen. Files and registry entries are then created on the infected PC. Added registry values are vital in loading TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen as soon as Windows system starts.
Presence of TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen brings several disruptions on the computer. Aside from reducing the performance on the system, the Trojan also causes severe malfunction to some programs and operating system as well. Furthermore, TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen may affect other Windows functions especially tools that are useful in the removal of threats. Anti-virus program may also stop performing when TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen infects executable files related to it.
You must remove TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen immediately before it can further harm the computer. Follow the procedures stated below to totally get rid of this threat including other relayed viruses.
Signs and Symptoms of TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen Infection:
TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen will disable your antivirus program
Once a Trojan infects a computer, it has a tendency to lower security settings and disable firewall and antivirus program. TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen carry out this task to ensure that antivirus software will not respond on the attack.
Blocks Internet access to security web site
TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen attacks the center of the security system. Aside from disabling antivirus software, this Trojan also blocks your access to security web site to prevent downloading of any removal tools.
Presence of TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen reduces PC's performance
Trojans are known to reside in the memory, thus, it can consume resources that can cause computer to slow down. There are cases that infected computer crashes due to insufficient resources.
Other Functions of TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen:
- TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen can communicate to a remote server to download more threats
- It can infect executable files on the local and network drives
- This hazardous Trojan can connects to a distant server to update its configuration
- Some variants of TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen can destroy system files making the computer unstable
- This Trojan can allow a backdoor entry for an attacker to control the infected PC
How to Remove TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen
Step 1 - Run a thorough scan using your antivirus program
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete please proceed with the next step.
Step 2 - Double-check with Online Virus Scanner
Another way to remove TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished you may now restart the computer in normal mode.