Personal Antivirus also known as PAV is a potentially unwanted program that can be dropped onto computers by a Trojan. Unsuspecting users may also acquire this threat by just visiting a malicious websites such as URL indicated below. Personal Antivirus will perform virus scanning and produce exaggerated results on computer, a way to trick users to register the program. It will display a message“Warning!!! Your computer contains various types of adware and viruses.”
Other known payloads Personal Antivirus includes disabling of installed security programs on compromised computer, redirecting of internet browser and blocking of internet access among others.
1. A popup about threat called Critical System Warning, Security Violation Error, Bloodhound.PDF.8, Trojan.Mdropper.AC and W32.SillyFDC.BAZ is displayed.
2. It will hijack Internet browser of victim’s computer and will be redirected to the following web addresses:
Signs and Symptoms of Personal Antivirus Infection:
Browser is redirected to Personal Antivirus web sites
Rogue program is coupled with web site that promotes the full version of it. Also, the same web sites are used for online payment if user has fallen into the trap of this malware.
Exhibits fake pop-ups and security alert
In order to deceive computer users, Personal Antivirus will exhibit a bunch of fake security alerts and warning messages. It also intends to promote the malware as the sole remover for identified threats.
Personal Antivirus will detect errors and threats that do not exists
Every rogue programs are made to mislead computer users. Thus, expect that Personal Antivirus will show scan result that is full of errors and threats. This result is fictitious and you should not follow its recommendation.
Other Functions of Personal Antivirus:
- Personal Antivirus may come with another Trojan or virus
- It can contact a remote server in order to download more malware
- This threat will drop malicious files and make changes to the system registry
- Personal Antivirus can steal credit card information when you pay for it online
- The threat can redirect search result link to a malicious web page
How to Remove Personal Antivirus
1. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from this link and save it on your Desktop.
2. After downloading, double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
3. Follow the prompts and install as default only.
4. Before the installation completes, check on the following prompts:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
5. Click Finish. Program will run automatically and you will be prompt to update the program before doing a scan. Please update.
6. Scan your computer thoroughly.
7. When scanning is finished click on the Show Results button.
8. Make sure that all detected threats are marked, click on Remove Selected.
9. Restart your computer.
Note: Some malware may prevent mbam-setup.exe from downloading and running. You can download and rename this program from a different computer before running it on infected system.