Privacy Center is considered as rogue security program developed for MS Windows system. It will attempt to persuade users into obtaining the registered version by providing fake scan results on victim’s computer. This fake anti-virus software comes from a large group of malicious applications that has created various variants of it.
Privacy Center is just a mimic of the other versions and only obvious change is its name. Graphical user interface and method of propagation remains the same. Usually, users can acquire Privacy Center from web sites that disguise either online virus scanner or one that offers free videos. As for fake online scanner sites, it will automatically run a scan on visitor’s machine. Several threats will be identified on the said scan and prompt user to download Privacy Center as a cleaner. While on bogus video sites, user will receive prompt stating that multimedia player is required to view online movies.
Innocent users may think that the endorsed program will help remove a threat that is why so many have fallen into the trick of Privacy Center. Right after it is installed; it will carry another local scan on the computer and detects dozens of threats. An advice to remove these infections follows but can only be performed if the licensed version of Privacy Center is purchased. Users will be brought to an online payment web site where credit card account is needed to complete the transaction.
More Rogue Program Details
Notable files associated with Privacy Center:
%UserProfile%Application DataPrivacy centerdbasescg.dat
%UserProfile%Application DataPrivacy centerdbasesmw.dat
%UserProfile%Application DataPrivacy centerdbasesrd.dat
%UserProfile%Application DataPrivacy centerdbasessc.dat
%UserProfile%Application DataPrivacy centerdbasessm.dat
%UserProfile%Application DataPrivacy centerdbasessp.dat
%UserProfile%Application DataPrivacy centerkeyscg.key
%UserProfile%Application DataPrivacy centertempsettings.ini
%UserProfile%Application DataPrivacy centertempspfilter
%UserProfile%Start MenuProgramsPrivacy centerPrivacy center.lnk
c:Program FilesPrivacy centeragent.exe
c:Program FilesPrivacy centerpc.exe
c:Program FilesPrivacy centeruninstall.exe
c:Program FilesPrivacy centertoolsscca.crt
c:Program FilesPrivacy centertoolssclibeay32.dll
c:Program FilesPrivacy centertoolssclibssl32.dll
c:Program FilesPrivacy centertoolsscOemWin2k.inf
c:Program FilesPrivacy centertoolsscopenvpn.exe
c:Program FilesPrivacy centertoolssctap0801.sys
c:Program FilesPrivacy centertoolssctapinstall.exe
c:Program FilesPrivacy centertoolsspspbho.dll
Signs and Symptoms of Privacy Center Infection:
Browser is redirected to Privacy Center web sites
Rogue program is coupled with web site that promotes the full version of it. Also, the same web sites are used for online payment if user has fallen into the trap of this malware.
Exhibits fake pop-ups and security alert
In order to deceive computer users, Privacy Center will exhibit a bunch of fake security alerts and warning messages. It also intends to promote the malware as the sole remover for identified threats.
Privacy Center will detect errors and threats that do not exists
Every rogue programs are made to mislead computer users. Thus, expect that Privacy Center will show scan result that is full of errors and threats. This result is fictitious and you should not follow its recommendation.
Other Functions of Privacy Center:
- Privacy Center may come with another Trojan or virus
- It can contact a remote server in order to download more malware
- This threat will drop malicious files and make changes to the system registry
- Privacy Center can steal credit card information when you pay for it online
- The threat can redirect search result link to a malicious web page
How to Remove Privacy Center
1. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from this link and save it on your Desktop.
2. After downloading, double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
3. Follow the prompts and install as default only.
4. Before the installation completes, check on the following prompts:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
5. Click Finish. Program will run automatically and you will be prompt to update the program before doing a scan. Please update.
6. Scan your computer thoroughly.
7. When scanning is finished click on the Show Results button.
8. Make sure that all detected threats are marked, click on Remove Selected.
9. Restart your computer.
Note: Some malware may prevent mbam-setup.exe from downloading and running. You can download and rename this program from a different computer before running it on infected system.