NTOSKRNL-HOOK is a detection for technique used by Rootkit Trojan and be able to hide malicious files and process from Windows and security programs. NTOSKRNL-HOOK Rootkit are programs that can be utilized by malware authors to conceal malicious files from being seen during a real-time scanning of security programs.
- Generic Rootkit.d!
- Generic Rootkit.d!rootkit 5
Risk Level: Medium
File Size: Varies
Affected System: Windows
1. May reduced system performance with no trace of process in the task manager.
2. An increased of disk space usage without a trace of file.
3. May cause system crashes and Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)
Signs and Symptoms of NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan Infection:
NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan will disable your antivirus program
Once a Trojan infects a computer, it has a tendency to lower security settings and disable firewall and antivirus program. NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan carry out this task to ensure that antivirus software will not respond on the attack.
Blocks Internet access to security web site
NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan attacks the center of the security system. Aside from disabling antivirus software, this Trojan also blocks your access to security web site to prevent downloading of any removal tools.
Presence of NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan reduces PC's performance
Trojans are known to reside in the memory, thus, it can consume resources that can cause computer to slow down. There are cases that infected computer crashes due to insufficient resources.
Other Functions of NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan:
- NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan can communicate to a remote server to download more threats
- It can infect executable files on the local and network drives
- This hazardous Trojan can connects to a distant server to update its configuration
- Some variants of NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan can destroy system files making the computer unstable
- This Trojan can allow a backdoor entry for an attacker to control the infected PC
How to Remove NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan
Step 1 - Run a thorough scan using your antivirus program
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete please proceed with the next step.
Step 2 - Double-check with Online Virus Scanner
Another way to remove NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished you may now restart the computer in normal mode.