We first posted about the Security Tool virus on this website last September 23,2009. Since then we have received numerous inquiries from computer users who got infected with this rogue program. A Security Tool virus removal is requested. Some relies on the Internet and search for the removal. Little did they know that one wrong click from the search results will give them another headache.
A big development lately – new rogue program like TrustSoldier is being promoted by Search Engine Optimization (SEO) technique. If “Security Tool” infected users search for the term “Security Tool virus,” “How to Remove Security Tool” and “Security Tool Malware Removal,” some search results will contain malicious link that will redirect Internet browser to a website that carries rogue program. Based on our studies these websites has been attacked to transmit a malware.
When users intentionally visit these websites, they will be greeted with a warning message about computer security issues. This warning reads:
Warning!!! Your personal computer needs to install antivirus software! Total Security can perform fast and free virus and malicious software scan of your computer.
Clicking on the prompt will lead user to a fake online virus scanner My PC – Best Defence Scanner that will display a number of detected threats and forced them to purchase the registered version of the unwanted program.
Signs and Symptoms of Security Tool Virus and Internet Search Redirection Infection:
Browser is redirected to Security Tool Virus and Internet Search Redirection web sites
Rogue program is coupled with web site that promotes the full version of it. Also, the same web sites are used for online payment if user has fallen into the trap of this malware.
Exhibits fake pop-ups and security alert
In order to deceive computer users, Security Tool Virus and Internet Search Redirection will exhibit a bunch of fake security alerts and warning messages. It also intends to promote the malware as the sole remover for identified threats.
Security Tool Virus and Internet Search Redirection will detect errors and threats that do not exists
Every rogue programs are made to mislead computer users. Thus, expect that Security Tool Virus and Internet Search Redirection will show scan result that is full of errors and threats. This result is fictitious and you should not follow its recommendation.
Other Functions of Security Tool Virus and Internet Search Redirection:
- Security Tool Virus and Internet Search Redirection may come with another Trojan or virus
- It can contact a remote server in order to download more malware
- This threat will drop malicious files and make changes to the system registry
- Security Tool Virus and Internet Search Redirection can steal credit card information when you pay for it online
- The threat can redirect search result link to a malicious web page
How to Remove Security Tool Virus and Internet Search Redirection
1. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from this link and save it on your Desktop.
2. After downloading, double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
3. Follow the prompts and install as default only.
4. Before the installation completes, check on the following prompts:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
5. Click Finish. Program will run automatically and you will be prompt to update the program before doing a scan. Please update.
6. Scan your computer thoroughly.
7. When scanning is finished click on the Show Results button.
8. Make sure that all detected threats are marked, click on Remove Selected.
9. Restart your computer.
Note: Some malware may prevent mbam-setup.exe from downloading and running. You can download and rename this program from a different computer before running it on infected system.